From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: important fstab and localmount update, round 3
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 20:10:37
1 On 01/11/16 04:03 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 14:13:28 -0500
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> If "/dev/disk/by-*" source paths are used for mount points in
6 >
7 > s/source/device/. Source sounds weird to me.
8
9 device path works, i used 'source' as in the mount source vs the mount
10 target.
13 >> fstab, it is possible that those symbolic links will not exist when
14 >> localmount starts and attempts to mount them.
15 >> To force the old behaviour, you can add rc_want="dev-settle" to
16 >> /etc/conf.d/localmount or add udev-settle to the sysinit runlevel.
17 >
18 > I would move this to the end, to indicate this is not the recommended
19 > solution.
20 >
21 >> The preferred solution is to convert fstab from using
22 >
23 > s/preferred/recommended/
24 >
25 >> "/dev/disk/by-*" to the LABEL=, UUID=, or PARTUUID= syntax. This syntax
26 >> is supported directly by both util-linux and busybox's mount commands and
27 >> has no dependency on any device manager. More information on this syntax
28 >> can be found in the fstab and mount man pages.
29 >
30 > fstab(5), mount(1). It is common to use the (n) part when listing
31 > manpages.
34 Agreed, thank you!