From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLog - Infra Response
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 05:50:53
1 I'm replying to the top level of the thread, because I've been on
2 offline vacation recharging myself for a week, and this thread seems to
3 have degenerated into ways to avoid the issue, rather than focusing with
4 what's actually wrong.
5
6 rsync-as-a-way-to-get-the-tree is NOT being deprecated, it has very
7 valid use cases, and places where git is not suited.
8
9 I asked zmedico & dol-sen for TWO critical changes to egencache's
10 --update-changelogs code.
11
12 1. Control of the OUTPUT filename for the generated changelog
13 - the from-git generated changelog will go to 'ChangeLog.git'
14 2. Control for the order ENTRY for the generated changelog
15 - changing to OLDEST-first, with appending the new data at the end
16 - this massively improves rsync performance.
17
18 dol-sen said he was busy with the repoman rewrite, and didn't want to
19 introduce the change at the time, so this has been deferred for the
20 moment.
21
22 Without #1, we have to rename ALL of the old changelogs, otherwise they
23 will be overwritten by the new ones from Git history.
24
25 I probably should have created a bug for both of these, because I don't
26 know if they got tracked accurately since I asked for them in August,
27 and I certainly don't see the code being updated in the repoman or
28 master branches of the portage repo (it also still generates a $Header$
29 entry, which does have an open bug as well).
30
31 Since dol-sen and zmedico are so busy as well, somebody from this thread
32 with time to complain, please implement & test these changes!
33 It's NOT as trivial as dropping a variable into the place where it opens
34 the file, because there is other code later that also hardcodes the
35 filename.
38 Robin Hugh Johnson
39 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead
40 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
41 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85