From: Jason Huebel <jhuebel@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Cascading profiles for normal Gentoo usage or not
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:41:28
1 On Thursday 12 August 2004 2:40 pm, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > I'm very confused. Some developers tell me that we should use the cascading
3 > profiles now and that the flat profiles are outdated; others tell me that
4 > cascading profiles are still in development and shouldn't be advised for
5 > normal usage.
6 >
7 > What's the truth behind this? Do we all need to use the cascading profiles
8 > and the bootstrap-cascade.sh script or the flat profiles with the
9 > bootstrap.sh script?
10 >
11 > A very confused Sven Vermeulen
12
13 BTW, I'm the sorry b*st*rd that started this... :-) I've gotten a couple of
14 emails from users saying that the gentoo-upgrading doc tells them to use a
15 cascading profile for their make.profile symlink.
16
17 As I understand it, cascading profiles are in testing by devs and are targeted
18 for public consumption in 2004.3. If that's the case, then the
19 gentoo-upgrading doc needs to be changed.
20
21 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml
24 Jason Huebel
25 Gentoo/amd64 Strategic Lead
26 Gentoo Developer Relations/Recruiter
27
28 GPG Public Key:
29 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9BA9E230
30
31 "Do not weep; do not wax indignant. Understand."
32 Baruch Spinoza (1632 - 1677)