From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes in toolchain.eclass to enable Ada
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 23:23:00
1 On 12/22/16 3:11 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:55:05 +0100
3 > Alfredo Tupone <tupone@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >>>> I would like to start including, in the gentoo tree, GNAT-GPL
6 >>>> built in the same way as sys-devel-gcc and selectable with gcc-config
7 >>>
8 >>> 1. Does this mean that GNAT-GPL build will include building a C
9 >>> compiler? If yes, will the C compiler be installed?
10 >> Yes, a C and a C++ compiler, and they will be installed
11 >>>
12 >>> 2. Will it be possible to combine GNAT-GPL with a different version of
13 >>> regular gcc C/C++ compilers?
14 >> No, not easily
15 >
16 > To be honest, I don't like this at all. This sounds like doubling
17 > the effort on maintaining gcc, and it sounds like people using GNAT-GPL
18 > would end up being forced to use old versions of GCC (also possibly
19 > missing patches).
20 >
21 > If the Ada compiler requires Ada to boostrap anyway, can't you just
22 > make it build the Ada compiler alone?
25 Yeah, I agree.
28 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
29 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
30 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
31 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
32 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA