From: Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] How do we handle stabilisations of not-exactly-maintained packages
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 20:00:49
1 On 13:37 Wed 21 Sep 2011, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I LIKE the contribution of linux distros, and I don't really want to
3 > see a move towards the Windows world where I have 10 different
4 > auto-updaters running (or worse - no auto-update and I'm just stuck
5 > with manual checks). I also don't like every browser having its own
6 > copy of everything from libz to webkit to sqllite.
7
8 For chrome at least versions and updating are going to become invisible.
9 Google has indicated that they are going to do all the updating
10 invisibly in the background and once that is working they'll remove the
11 version number too. They'll push the security fixes (and just whatever
12 they think enhances your browsing experience) directly to your computer.
19 Thomas Kahle
20 http://dev.gentoo.org/~tomka/