From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 05:21:16
1 Rich Freeman posted on Fri, 08 Apr 2016 06:36:48 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > Really though the main point of merging these paths into /usr is to get
4 > all the static content of a distro into a single path, which can then be
5 > maintained as a read-only filesystem, mounted across multiple systems,
6 > protected using tripwire or signature checking, and so on. As has been
7 > pointed out the rolling release nature of Gentoo reduces some of these
8 > benefits somewhat. To truly get these benefits we would also need to
9 > rethink how post-install configuration gets managed as was already
10 > pointed out.
11
12 Somewhat unrelated to the /usr or bin/sbin merge here, as (nearly)
13 everything the package manager installs to any of its paths (including
14 /usr, FWIW, but that's easy because my is a /usr -> . symlink) is on /,
15 here, but FWIW, I actually do keep my / read-only mounted by default.
16
17 So / is only mounted writable to update and/or change configuration.
18 That includes /etc/ and of course my /usr -> . symlink, as well as parts
19 of /var. The parts of /var that system services need to write into
20 during normal operation (well, the ones that need to be permanent, those
21 like /var/run that should be temporary are already on tmpfs mounts) are
22 symlinked into subdirs under /home/var, with /home of course being
23 mounted writable by default, so they can be written into during normal
24 operation despite / being mounted read-only.
25
26 Works out pretty well, actually, improving reliability of /, since it's
27 normally mounted ro and thus is fully stable in the event of a system
28 crash. Not having to worry about being unable to get to my system
29 recovery tools on / in the event of a bad crash because / was mounted
30 read-only and thus wasn't susceptible to the damage that writable-mounted
31 filesystems can sustain in the event of a hard shutdown is nice. =:^)
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman