From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: security@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Decoupling stabilization from security bugs
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 12:53:50
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 TL;DR: I'd like to propose that stabilizations are done via blockers of
4 security bugs instead of security bugs themselves, i.e. as any other
5 stabilizations.
8 Right now we're often performing security-related stabilizations via
9 security bugs. This has a few problems, that are:
10
11 1. Stabilization-related activity causes unnecessary mail to the widely
12 subscribed security alias. That is, subscribed people get notified of
13 package list changes, NATTkA results, every arch doing its work.
14 However, in reality the security team only cares about stabilization
15 being started, stalled or finished -- and for that, getting the usual
16 'dependent bug added/closed' mail should be sufficient.
17
18 2. NATTkA has no good way of distinguishing irrelevant security bugs
19 from security bugs where something went wrong (and NATTkA doesn't use
20 persistent state by design). The most important problem is that --
21 unlike regular stablereqs -- security bugs aren't supposed to be closed
22 after stabilization. It can't really distinguish a security bug 'left
23 open' from a security bug with incorrect package list.
24
25 3. Proxied maintainers without editbugs can't actually CC arches on
26 security bugs since the bugs are assigned to security@.
29 To resolve these problems going forward and establish consistent
30 behavior in the future, I'd like to propose to disable 'package list'
31 fields on security bugs and instead expect regular stabilization bugs to
32 be used (and made block the security bugs) for stabilizations. While I
33 understand that filing additional bugs might be cumbersome for some
34 people, I don't think it's such a herculean effort to outweigh
35 the problems solved.
36
37 In the end, consistency is a good thing and we've introduced a dedicated
38 stabilization category to reduce the spread of stabilization bugs all
39 around the place.
40
41 WDYT?
44 Best regards,