From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About using USE flags to pull in needed RDEPENDs being discouraged by devmanual
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 17:52:30
1 Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > Also hit this problem today while trying to bump bluez and noticed we
3 > are using elog messages to tell people to manually install
4 > net-dialup/ppp if they want ppp working with bluez.
5 >
6 > I am unsure about the disadvantages of simply using, for example,
7 > "ppp" USE flag to do that.
8
9 I guess the point is that it is not really a dependency. bluez works
10 fine without ppp, it does not need to be rebuilt to use ppp later,
11 and ppp is only needed when user wants to use both together.
12
13 I think it fits to emerge them separately. It seems reasonable not to
14 USE for other packages which are merely possible to combine, but
15 which don't make for a strict dependency.
18 > 1. We rely in people reading the message to get package working ok.
19
20 I dunno if a USE flag is much better? Both require the user to inform
21 herself in the same way ("when do I need USE=ppp for bluez" vs. "when
22 do I need to emerge ppp") and take action in the same context (set
23 USE=ppp for bluez vs. emerge ppp after bluez)..
26 > 2. If user emerges ppp, it will be recorded in world file and, then, if
27 > in the future he removes bluez, emerge --depclean want clean no longer
28 > needed ppp and then, people end up with a lot of packages they needed
29 > to manually emerge some year but that they problem no longer need at
30 > all.
31
32 Disk is pretty cheap. If the package is never being used and the user
33 doesn't care to remove it then the package doesn't do any harm IMO,
34 and as mentioned I think it's difficult for the package manager to
35 know what the user has installed on the system but no longer needs..
38 //Peter