From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tr1 dependencies
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:37:12
1 On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 11:24:31PM +0000, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:36:33 +0100
3 > Rémi Cardona <remi@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Newbie idea : g++ and boost both provide virtual/tr1
6 > >
7 > > Newbie question : besides the fact that you would have to rebuild
8 > > packages if you changed the virtual, is there anything painfully
9 > > obvious why that would be a bad idea ?
10 >
11 > And what exactly is required of a package providing virtual/tr1? If it
12 > has to implement the entirity of the TR, then g++-4.1 can't provide the
13 > virtual and the purpose is lost since the most used parts of the
14 > extension will be those provided by GCC.
15
16 You're ignoring that new style virtuals can have versions; thus
17 virtual/tr-[arbitrary version <1]
18 can be 'almost full 1 support'.
19
20 Yes, mildly hackish, but it address that concern.
21
22 As for "whatever I build against, I hard RDEP on", as said elsewhere,
23 need a way to specify that an rdep is 'binding', non changable.
24
25 ~harring