From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: deprecation of baselayout-1.x
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 05:33:57
1 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > the time has come when baselayout-2.x and openrc are stable on all of
5 > our architectures. That means that we should look into removing
6 > baselayout-1 from the tree, removing support for it from our init
7 > scripts and removing support for migration from the openrc
8 > ebuilds.
9 >
10 > 1. we can remove baselayout-1 from the tree, I think, as soon as bug
11 > #368597 is closed, because once that is done, all new installs should
12 > be based on baselayout-2.x and openrc.
13 >
14 > 2. The next step is to reverse the changes we made in bug #273138 and
15 > any other init scripts that have been reacting differently depending on
16 > whether they were under baselayout-1 or openrc. Optionally we could
17 > rework init scripts to take advantage of openrc specific features such
18 > as the *_pre/post functions at this point.
19 >
20 > Once this is completed, the init scripts in portage will not support
21 > baselayout-1, so if anyone is still on baselayout-1 we should find a way
22 > to encourage them to migrate -- maybe a news item? Also, we should come
23 > up with a time window that will be published in this news item that will
24 > mark the end of supporting migration from baselayout-1 to openrc.
25 >
26 > 3. The final step is to remove the code from the openrc ebuilds that
27 > supports migrating from baselayout-1.x. Once we do this another news
28 > item should be published since this is the point of no return; anyone
29 > running a baselayout-1 based system will have to re-install to upgrade
30 > once we drop this support.
31 >
32 > Please discuss. Did I leave out any steps? Are there any points I have
33 > left out besides the time window between steps 2 and 3? Should there be
34 > a time window before removing baselayout-1? What about between steps 1
35 > and 2? What do you consider to be a reasonable time window before we
36 > stop supporting migration from baselayout-1 to baselayout-2/openrc? I'm
37 > thinking on the order of a few months, but not years.
38 >
39 > Thanks,
40 >
41 > William
45 As a user, if a person hasn't upgraded in about 6 months, they may as
46 well reinstall anyway. That is usually the advice given on -user.
47 After a year without updating, it is certainly easier and most likely
48 faster to reinstall. Almost everything will be updated and there is
49 usually a few upgrades that are touchy and will have to be dealt with.
50
51 My thoughts, after a year, baselayout1 could be laid to rest. At that
52 point, a reinstall would be the easiest and fastest anyway.
53
54 Just a users perspective. YMMV.
55
56 Dale