From: Matt Matthews <jvmatthe@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.0 install CD (stage2/stage3) kernel panic(?) from PCMCIA
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 17:50:11
1 On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 06:26:20PM -0500, Chad Huneycutt wrote:
2 > So pcmcia works on your 1.0 system, just not on the CD? OK, that is
3 > kind of weird. I will find out what USE settings drobbins used to make
4 > it. Maybe there is something there. At any rate, this is duly noted,
5 > and I will keep an eye out for anymore problems.
6
7 Just because I don't want to mislead anyone, let me explain clearly what I
8 did:
9 - boot 1.0 CD
10 - preliminaries setting up filesystem
11 - unpack stage 3 tarball
12 - power down
13 - boot using 1.0_rc6 CD
14 - modprobe pcmcia_core, i82365, ds; cardmgr -f; dhcpcd eth0
15 - mount partition(s) with stage 3 tarball stuff installed, etc.
16 - chroot into stage 3 system
17 - emerge kernel source (since network now available)
18 - build kernel 2.4.19 using exactly the options I had used on my old
19 (completely functional, GNOME, X11, et al) 1.0_rc6 system (i.e. PCMCIA
20 completely modular, using kernel modules, etc.) and install
21 - configure grub to list new kernel
22 - emerge pcmcia-cs
23 - exit chrooted system, unmount, power down
24 - reboot into new kernel
25 - working networkable system
26 - begin emerging everything else
27
28 Another thing I should point out. Back when I was first using Gentoo (last
29 week and the week before) I was having problems with the pcmcia stuff in the
30 kernels I was building. In particular, the kernels wouldn't build unless I
31 enabled SMP (laptop != SMP) which I didn't want. With these SMP kernels, I
32 found that PCMCIA would give me the same "kernel panic" behaviour that I'm
33 having now!
34
35 It turns out that I needed to "make mrproper" after emerging the kernel
36 source. After that, I could actually build a uniprocessor kernel! Furthermore,
37 that uniprocessor kernel would not give me the "kernel panic" behaviour.
38
39 So perhaps this is related? The install instructions do not encourage a "make
40 mrproper" last I looked, but I have been doing it from here on out and haven't
41 encountered the same weirdness.
42
43 Regards,
44 matt
47 Matt Matthews \ ph: 919.660.2811 \ Use GNU/Linux _o) w00t
48 Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe@×××××××××.edu \____________ /\\
49 Dept. of Mathematics\ http://www.math.duke.edu/~jvmatthe/ \ _\_V