From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Regarding the tinderbox logs
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 08:48:06
1 On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò
2 <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu> wrote:
3 > On 02/10/2012 21:14, Ryan Hill wrote:
4 >> Well, duh. You designed, developed, and are the sole architect of the
5 >> system.
6 >
7 > Not by choice...
8 >
9 >> You made an error in the design. You might have had good reasons at
10 >> the time, and you can argue them til you turn blue to anyone who will listen,
11 >> but if your end consumers see it as a flaw it isn't going to change
12 >> a thing.
13 >
14 > Here's the problem, it's the 80-20 rule. Just in this case reversed, in
15 > the sense that 80% of the noise comes from 20% of the people (and I'd
16 > argue even less than 20%).
17 >
18 > We have a system that works nicely, and most people don't even complain
19 > about it. A few asked why, and when they were told they said "ok". A
20 > couple complained that it's not as easy but kept going and _one_ is
21 > destructively removing references to the logs and ignoring valid bugs on
22 > his own packages (caused by his own packages most of the time), because
23 > they smell.
24 >
25 > It does seem logical that I'm not going to rollback months of work just
26 > because one guy can't be bothered to play well with others, doesn't it?
27 >
28 > --
29 > Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
30 > flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
33 Nobody asked you to rollback months of work just because a few people
34 can't deal with the way you submit your logs. But you should also
35 respect their preferences. Each one of us has its personal way of
36 dealing with his/her bugs (based on some loose standards and
37 policies). If someone doesn't like your way of submitting logs then
38 just accept it. It is not like they go and remove your tinderbox links
39 from bugs/packages they don't maintain.
42 Regards,
43 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2