From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, Phil Hall <phil.hall@×××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel recompile on existing gentoo system?
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 03:01:44
1 On Thursday 30 May 2002 22:40, Phil Hall wrote:
2 > Hello, forgive me if I'm being stupid, but is there a way to recompile the
3 > kernel on an up and running gentoo linux system without basically redoing
4 > the entire install? If so I missed it (like I said, I could be just
5 > stupid.) ;)
8 Of course there is such a way. First download the new kernel sources (either
9 by hand or using emerge (emerge gentoo-sources). Then go to /usr/src/linux
10 Type make menuconfig, configure the kernel, make dep, make bzImage, make
11 modules, make modules_install, and cp the new kernel to the boot dir.
12
13 Also take a look at man grub to see how you can enable the option to choose
14 between kernels.
15
16 Paul
17
18 ps. Of course a reboot is nescesarry to load the new kernel
21 Paul de Vrieze
22 Junior Researcher
23 Mail: pauldv@××××××.nl
24 Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net