From: Andreas Schweitzer <andy@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rc4 impressions
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:06:01
Hi,
I was so bold and downloaded 1.0_rc4_pre2.
I know, rc4 is somehow not released ... but it's on the
ibiblio site :-)
Well, I only grabed the sys.tbz2 file and installed it on 2 partitions
according to the Installation manual.

2 bugs so far :
- The included man is linked against a newer version
  of the stdc++ library than is included. I think it's
  glibc2.1 vs. glibc2.2 mismatch.
- there is a mismatch in /etc/profile and /etc/env.d
  /etc/profile wants something in /etc, not /etc.d
  (sorry, I forgot the name of the file ;-).

Other than that it looks cool !
the modprobe actually detects my NE2000 and SB64 PnP cards ! cool !
(and I found /etc/conifg/modules to automate that :-)

What about including rsync and wget in the sys.tbz2 file.
Then, one could start with portage rigth away !

Having some sort of ports tree is just great !

Andreas

--
Department of Physics & Astronomy  and  Center for Simulational Physics
University of Georgia                          Phone ++1 (706) 542 5043

NEW ! WWW page for phoenix :

                   http://phoenix.physast.uga.edu