From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] debug USE flag misuse
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 01:45:47
1 On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 23:04:10 +0300
2 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On 07/01/2010 11:00 PM, Ryan Hill wrote:
5 > >[...]
6 > > The way to control compiler flags in Gentoo is CFLAGS.
7 >
8 > That is true. However, there's a problem; you can control package
9 > options of individual packages with USE flags, but you can't control
10 > compilation switches of individual packages with CFLAGS. This will
11 > naturally make people feel like using USE flags to modify compilation
12 > options is a good idea.
13 >
14 > Surely, one has to sympathize with this mindset even though it's a wrong
15 > thing to do.
16
17 We've had per-package CFLAGS for quite a long time now. Maybe we need to
18 advertise this a little more? There would certainly be a market for some
19 util to manage all the per-package options that we have scattered around in
20 different config files.
24 fonts, gcc-porting, and it's all by design
25 toolchain, wxwidgets to keep us from losing our minds
26 @ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662