From: Peter Hjalmarsson <xake@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Reorganizing handling of target specific profiles (Was: Split desktop profile patches & news item for review)
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 22:40:54
1 mån 2010-03-08 klockan 19:13 +0200 skrev Mart Raudsepp:
2
3 > Instead I think we should be improving "eselect profile" to support
4 > multiple inheriting /etc/make.profile files in a user friendly fashion,
5 > and in the end removing 249 subprofiles, instead of adding 28+.
9 I vote for this one. A profile being a only contains what is interesting
10 for that profile, and you can "stash together" some profiles into your
11 own cocktail.
12 Yeah, I know it sounds horrible, but it would still be better then to
13 only be able to focus on one small set.
14
15 For example if I am using the GNOME DE, and have someone other also
16 using my computer, but who really wants to use KDE. Should I have to
17 find out what from the KDE profile to enable in my env to make my
18 GNOME-profile also tingle for KDE?
19
20 I think having a set of "base profiles" for toolchains and alike (i.e.
21 default, hardened) would be good. Then be able to add for example
22 desktop/gnome or server and/or selinux profiles on top would be
23 interesting. This also for maintainers, as for example PeBenito can
24 focus on the selinux part of the profiles, and do not have to keep up to
25 date with which hardened-compilers are currently masked/unmasked.