From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eselect init
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 08:58:36
1 On Sun, 26 May 2013 04:02:56 +0200
2 Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
3
4 > By take effect I mean that the filesystem should be modified in such
5 > a way that the next boot will use what I selected. No further action
6 > which could fail should be required beyond the eselect command.
7 >
8 > Unless the eselect command has successfully modified the filesystem I
9 > can't really know that my system will boot with what I have selected,
10 > ie. eselect does not provide any useful feedback, because it can not.
11
12 That's exactly what I've described in another mail in another subthread.
13
14 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/85778/focus=85789
15
16 Snippet of what I said:
17
18 > Sounds like we would have two files like 'current_init' and
19 > 'boot_init' and `eselect init ...` would update 'boot_init'. Then,
20 > the first `init` invocation on boot would update 'current_init' with
21 > the value of 'boot_init'; latter `init` invocations can then read out
22 > 'current_init', which is not to be touched by `eselect init ...`.
23
24 This assumes that you would be working with a wrapper, not a symlink.
27 With kind regards,
28
29 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
30 Gentoo Developer
31
32 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
33 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
34 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D