From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pushing fixes to stable before closing bugs
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 16:29:10
1 On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 6:34 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
2 <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3 > The idea is that if you only fix in ~arch, you risk a serious and
4 > _known_ regression in stable, which could be easily avoided.
5
6 How can you have a regression in stable if stable has the bug already?
7 A regression is when you have a stable package with a bug, then you
8 introduce a new stable package that doesn't have that bug, and then
9 you introduce yet another new stable package that has the same bug
10 back again.
11
12 While I can see some value in tracking whether bugs have made it to
13 stable yet, I think we need better tools if we want to do that.
14 Otherwise it is a big housekeeping mess tracking what is and isn't in
15 stable yet.
16
17 I see the value when we're talking about security bugs, or very
18 critical bugs, but for the run-of-the-mill minor issues that are the
19 majority of bug reports I don't see the value in keeping bugs open for
20 a month or two just to track that the inevitable hasn't happened yet.
21
22 Rich