From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: TomWij@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] markdown docs like README.md
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 07:58:58
1 Dnia 2013-09-25, o godz. 00:30:27
2 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 00:07:15 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > Why do I need a browser, a PDF reader and a Markdown viewer and
8 > possibly more clients to read my documentation in a formatted way?
9
10 And why do I need a special HTML-formatting tool (which is much more
11 expensive) to read documentation in any way? Or rather, to drop all
12 the useless formatting.
13
14 > > As far as I can see it, we're either talking about:
15 > >
16 > > 1) replacing semi-readable Markdown with unreadable HTML that will
17 > > require special tools for proper display,
18 >
19 > Just some basic CSS will do just fine.
20
21 And how does that help with 'cat' output? Or vim? Or many other
22 standard *console* tools Gentoo users use.
23
24 > > 2) installing duplicate files (the same data in markdown and in HTML),
25 >
26 > This hasn't been discussed yet; but it doesn't need to, it's the usual
27 > INSTALL_MASK story.
28
29 And how does this distinguish between HTML cruft converted from
30 Markdown and HTML-only docs?
31
32 > > 3) adding some more ugly awful magic that will make binary packages
33 > > even less useful.
34 >
35 > For binary packages a choice has to be made; trying to solve things for
36 > binary packages is like discussing something to be implemented on a
37 > binary distro, you simply can't bring the usefulness we are discussing
38 > here to a binary package because of its nature.
39
40 Which is not reason to make it even worse.
41
42 > > That said, I'd rather see people using *tools* to display Markdown
43 > > rather than converting everything 90s-style.
44 >
45 > I'd rather have a single tool that displays documentation and display
46 > it really well; people are still converting things these days, they
47 > will continue to do so in the future. Some things aren't compatible.
48
49 It's called 'less'. Open a bug against it, ask our devs to include
50 a formatter in 'lesspipe'. Tadaam!
53 Best regards,
54 Michał Górny