From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rfc: logrotate and xinetd use flags
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 21:59:12
1 All,
2
3 I know a decision about this type of use flag was made in the past, but
4 especially now with the --newuse option in portage, that decision
5 bothers me, so I would like to re-open the discussion.
6
7 I will use logrotate as my example, but what I'm saying also applies for
8 xinetd.
9
10 I feel that the current approach (using INSTALL_MASK) to control whether
11 these configuration files are installed or not is not well documented.
12 We tell people about it on the mailing lists, but I do not know of a
13 place where it is documented.
14
15 Also, it seems to be an all or nothing arrangement. If I do not want
16 logrotate support, I have to set the INSTALL_MASK then if I decide later
17 I want it, I have to unset the INSTALL_MASK and run "emerge -e world" to
18 get the files installed.
19
20 If we use a "logrotate" or "xinetd" use flag, it gives the users better
21 control of which packages have this support, and the --newuse option in
22 portage can be used to rebuild only the affected packages.
23
24 I guess the argument against the use flag was that packages were being
25 rebuilt just to install configuration files. I can see how that could be
26 a pita for big packages. Did anyone ever bring up using pkg_config to
27 un/install these files based on the use flags?
28
29 Comments?
30
31 William