From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: adding a modification timestamp to the installed pkgs database (vdb)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:32:22
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2 > The proposal is pretty simple; if code modifies the vdb in any
3 > fashion, it needs to update the mtime on a file named
4 > '.modification_time' in the root of the vdb.
5
6 I'd to prefer using the mtime of the /var/db/pkg directory itself,
7 since existence of a '.modification_time' file isn't going to prove
8 that an programs that don't recognize that file haven't made any
9 modifications.
10
11 We can also use the mtimes of category subdirectories, in order to
12 indicate whether a modification has occurred in any given category.
13 --
14 Thanks,
15 Zac