From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: adding a modification timestamp to the installed pkgs database (vdb)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:32:22
Brian Harring wrote:
> The proposal is pretty simple; if code modifies the vdb in any > fashion, it needs to update the mtime on a file named > '.modification_time' in the root of the vdb.
I'd to prefer using the mtime of the /var/db/pkg directory itself, since existence of a '.modification_time' file isn't going to prove that an programs that don't recognize that file haven't made any modifications. We can also use the mtimes of category subdirectories, in order to indicate whether a modification has occurred in any given category. -- Thanks, Zac