From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 07:26:01
1 On Thursday, September 15, 2011 08:32:17 PM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > Will the ebuild automatically add all the different modules into the
4 > > /etc/dracut.conf ?
5 > > Please note, I am asking these questions to put my mind at ease and
6 > > hopefully
7 > > be able to explain all this back to the people on gentoo-user.
8 >
9 > Honestly, I'd recommend just trying it out. Dracut right now is as usable
10 > as any non-initramfs solution out there and you can always add it as an
11 > extra non-default option in grub so that it doesn't mess you up if it
12 > doesn't work.
13
14 It is on my list of things to test and I will let you know my findings.
15
16 > I've found that dracut is pretty auto-magic by default and the config file
17 > doesn't generally need tampering. Most of the options are to NOT load
18 > modules or to minimize the initramfs size by figuring out what modules are
19 > actually needed and only load those (which means if you change hardware
20 > between boots it could come up short).
21
22 If I change hardware, the kernel is likely not to boot as I disable anything I
23 don't have.
24
25 > The modules that are available are controlled by use flags. Actually, I
26 > think it is a DRACUT_MODULES variable or something like that (not unlike how
27 > X11 handles drivers).
28
29 Yes, this matches what I have found out already.
32 Joost