From: Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Weekly News Letter - "Where is Gentoo Linux 1.4"
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:57:30
1 On Wednesday 25 June 2003 12:31, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2
3 > > Portage short of me maintaining my own tree and having my machines pull
4 > > that down.
5 >
6 > If you record the bug fixes and use emerge <packagename> and never emerge
7 > -u world, things are quite stable, and only required updates are installed.
8
9 That doesnt work if you ever need to install your favourite stable version on
10 a new machine, or re-emerge it for any reason. "emerge sync" is likely to
11 have removed those old ebuilds.
12
13 Ive been running my servers from my own tree since late last year, and it
14 works well. My tree is a snapshot of the standard portage tree on that day,
15 with any bug-fixes copied from the public portage tree into my
16 /usr/local/portage.
17
18 I am happy with this arrangement.
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list