From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for November
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:35:17
1 Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o> posted
2 1162902277.23009.2.camel@×××××××××××.mil, excerpted below, on Tue, 07 Nov
3 2006 07:24:37 -0500:
4
5 > Not an option for everyone without a lot of needless hoop jumping, like
6 > ssh port forwarding. Cox (rhyme it as you will), my cable provider,
7 > doesn't allow 25 to leave their network. To send mail, I *have* to relay
8 > through their mail servers.
9
10 This is of interest to me since I'm on Cox too (tho of course not a dev so
11 no gentoo address to worry about). Gentoo doesn't do SSMTP? Or your
12 client of choice doesn't (I've not had to worry about it so honestly don't
13 know what *ix clients do or don't).
14
15 IIRC, Lance did say something in his post about contacting him if another
16 port was necessary. That's the standard solution suggested to folks on
17 Cox, as Cox is primarily interested in blocking spambots, and legit mail
18 just gets caught in the cross-hairs. They don't care about third party
19 mail as long as it's not on port 25, which the spambots of course use.
20 Thus, no fancy encryption or the like needed, only a server listening on
21 something other than 25, and a client that can be set to send on something
22 other than 25.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list