From: Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.1: Stabilization and news item
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 08:26:15
1 On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:22:41 +0100
2 Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Arfrever@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Python 3 is a new major version of Python and is intentionally incompatible
5 > with Python 2. Many external modules have not been ported yet to Python 3, so
6 > currently Python 3.1 should not be set as main active version of Python.
7 > Setting Python 3.1 as main active version of Python is currently unsupported.
8 > When it will change, a separate news item will be created to notify users.
9
10 So nothing uses it yet, and it's completely incompatible with 90% of the numerous python/pygtk apps already on my system, so it'll just sit there, SLOTted, doing nothing but taking up more space on my very limited SSD, while Python 2.6 is the version that's actually in use by every single app.
11
12 > Currently Python 3.1 should *NOT* be set as [the] main active version of
13 > Python.
14 (emphasis and grammar fix mine)
15
16 So . . . why the heck are you stabilizing it?
17
18 Please don't spam me or the other users by sticking us with a useless new version. Leave it in ~arch -- it's not at all necessary to force the upgrade by stabilizing it.
19
20 We're completely dependent on the hundreds of upstream Python-coded projects to switch on their timetable. Forcing a useless Python version to be the default in Gento doesn't force *them* to write 3.x-compatible code.