From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bleeding edge hardened-sources: move PaX markings from ELF to Extended Attributes
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 01:04:30
1 On 12/07/2011 05:10 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Friday 02 December 2011 00:16:43 Duncan wrote:
3 >> Longer: Does reiserfs (v3) support xattrs and thus, presumably caps and
4 >> XT_PAX? Kernel reiserfs options suggest yes, but everything I've read
5 >> elsewhere (including gentoo-dev caps project discussions) seems to
6 >> indicate no. Is the "no" simply outdated, since reiserfs xattrs support
7 >> was added relatively late in the game, or is it still correct and I have
8 >> the purpose of those kernel options all wrong, or ???
9 > i found reiserfs useful in the ext2/ext3 days, but now i find it completely
10 > irrelevant with ext4
11 >
12 >> If both reiserfs and tmpfs (my $PORTAGE_TMPDIR) support xattrs, both caps
13 >> and XT_PAX should be good to go, correct?
14 > my understanding of libattr/libacl is that the userland interface is FS
15 > independent. once the FS supports xattrs (if the kernel says it does, i'd
16 > believe that), then that should be all you need.
17 >
18 > while i've never tested xattrs on reiserfs (as alluded earlier, i've dropped
19 > all my reiserfs usage in favor of ext4), but i know tmpfs works (once you've
20 > enabled it in the kernel).
21 > -mike
22
23 I just tested with reiser3 and xattr works just fine. Just make sure
24 its enabled in the kernel and when you mount the fs use option
25 user_xattr for the user. namespace.
28 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
29 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
30 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
31 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
32 GnuPG ID : D0455535