From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC about another *DEPEND variable
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 14:02:45
On Saturday 23 September 2006 09:50, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Saturday 23 September 2006 09:14, Brian Harring wrote: > > We don't classify our deps as actual build depends vs link depends; as > > such trying to (essentially) "patch things up after" allow for the > > scenario where merging breaks the toolchain, thus building isn't > > possible. > > huh ? RDEPEND is linktime ... see my statement above
lemme rephrase ... you keep the ABI SONAME lib around until all packages are done with it; this does not affect any other package (including upgrades to the same package) as the ABI filename is unique in the filesystem it is not used at linktime because it does not provide a linkable file ... it merely provides the library used at runtime so you can upgrade on the fly as the old ABI lib does not conflict with anything -mike