From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Feedback req: Confirm/thank on bug fix or is that unwanted bug spam?
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 00:59:59
1 On 7/7/07, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > When I open or CC on a bug that then gets fixed, I often feel like adding
3 > a thanks to the bug. However, while it may be polite in other
4 > circumstances, in this case it could be viewed as bug spam, so I've
5 > hesitated.
6 >
7 > I reviewed the bug reporting guidelines a month or so ago and didn't see
8 > anything either way on it there, so I'm wondering, what's the general
9 > opinion? Do you guys appreciate thanks (and confirmation the fix worked
10 > at the same time, even when it's fairly obvious it should), or would you
11 > rather not get the spam?
12 >
13 > If there's a consensus reached, perhaps it should be added to the bug
14 > reporting guidelines as well. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has
15 > wondered about this.
16 >
17 > What I've done occasionally so far is this. Gentoo tends to leave the
18 > bug state in resolved/fixed. When I can confirm it, I'll close the bug,
19 > with an appropriate note of confirmation and thanks. Does that work or
20 > is it still too bug-spammy? Again, if there's a reasonable consensus,
21 > it'd be nice to have it mentioned one way or the other in the bug
22 > reporting guidelines.
25 I /believe/ when you close a bug a notification is sent anyway
26 irregardless of whether or not you add a comment, but i might be wrong
27 here.
28
29 I myself think dev's should be thanked for their good work and would
30 like to continue doing so :)
31
32 ( something has to be done to compensate for the amount of crap i bet
33 dev's get, recognition occasionally IMO should help them feel loved
34 and want to stay here at gentoo :) )
37 Kent
38 ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|
39 print "enNOSPicAMreil kdrtf@×××.com"[(2*x)..(2*x+1)]}'
40 --
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list