From: Brian Evans <grknight@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 00:45:54
1 On 08/11/2017 07:50 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > == New revisions for USE flag changes ==
3 >
4 > I suggest that in hindsight, we can do better. Suppose we require a new
5 > revision for every change to IUSE. Then,
6 >
7 > * We can delete all of the PM code for --changed-use and --newuse and
8 > friends.
9 >
10 > * The documentation becomes much simpler: revbump if IUSE changes.
11 >
12 > * Users can omit --newuse and --changed-use from their lives.
13 >
14 > * All package managers now handle IUSE changes properly.
15 >
16 > * emerge runs a bit faster.
17 >
18 > This has none of the downsides of the current approach. Of course, it
19 > lacks that one benefit -- that you don't have to rename the ebuild when
20 > you change IUSE. Now I'll try to convince you that the rename and
21 > associated rebuilds aren't that big of a deal.
22
23 I disagree about removing --newuse and --changed-use from portage.
24 This is not their only use.
25
26 If you happen to change the effective use system wide, USE= in make.conf
27 for portage, these options scan the entire system for such changes.
28
29 i.e. 'emerge --changed-use --deep @world'
30
31 Brian