From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stability of /sys api
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 05:45:11
William Hubbs wrote:
> I'm wondering the same thing since once busybox 1.20.0 hits stable you > will be able to have a separate /usr without an initramfs quite easily > if that's what you want to do. > > When you emerge this version of busybox with the "sep-usr" use flag, you > get a binary in / called ginit. Now just follow the instructions you got > when you emerged it. >
Thing is it runs before the real init[1] so if we are using a separate /usr partition on LVM, will it still work? I'd have thought not, since we need the device-mapper service and there's /etc/lvm.conf to consider, but I'll gladly be told different. (/usr on lvm was the example given in the Council discussion, and has been mentioned in docs, but I'd imagine same applies to /usr on mdadm, if not auto-detected.) [1] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/dev/252734 -- #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)