From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stability of /sys api
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 05:45:11
1 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > I'm wondering the same thing since once busybox 1.20.0 hits stable you
3 > will be able to have a separate /usr without an initramfs quite easily
4 > if that's what you want to do.
5 >
6 > When you emerge this version of busybox with the "sep-usr" use flag, you
7 > get a binary in / called ginit. Now just follow the instructions you got
8 > when you emerged it.
9 >
10 Thing is it runs before the real init[1] so if we are using a separate /usr
11 partition on LVM, will it still work? I'd have thought not, since we need
12 the device-mapper service and there's /etc/lvm.conf to consider, but I'll
13 gladly be told different.
14
15 (/usr on lvm was the example given in the Council discussion, and has been
16 mentioned in docs, but I'd imagine same applies to /usr on mdadm, if not
17 auto-detected.)
18
19 [1] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/dev/252734
20 --
21 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)