From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Tom
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 04:46:16
1 Thomas Flavel wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:29:01PM -0600, Bryce Porter wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Tom:
6 > > "I'm just thinking along the lines of a minimum binary system where
7 > > absolutley needed, and compiling specifically everywhere else? I realise this would
8 > > be slow to install on slower systems, but, since we're all power users... ;)
9 > >
10 > > Seriously though, I do think this would be a nice feature, unless there's
11 > > some practicality reason I'm missing."
12 > > -------------------------------------------------------------
13 > >
14 > > I think this is a great idea. I heard of a GNU/Linux distrobution that
15 > > when installed compiled all selected packages from source, making it the
16 > > most optimized you could get for your specific machine. I think it was
17 > > called Rock Linux or something.
18 >
19 > Not heard of it, but a quick search on google reveals the predicatable url:
20 > http://www.rocklinux.org, #rocklinux on irc.openprojects.net.
21 >
22 > Looks to be faily mature (at least they're past 1.0 ;), supports ppc and alpha
23 > as well as x86.
24
25 Please send me you ppc, alpha, i64, mips, sparc machines and I will do the ports. :-)
26
27 > From what I can see it has a binary cd version, with the option
28 > to compile from source (the same thing I was talking about, if I understand them
29 > correctly). It describes it's package management as closer to FreeBSD than debian.
30 > It looks to be quite similar to gentoo to me, although not quite as advanced.
31
32 I took a look at the site and think that we need something similar to cfengine
33 sometimes.
34
35 I thougth about a minimum build system too, while I had to go back to i486 from i686.
36 There is another project linux-from-scratch (www.lfs.org i think) that creates a
37 statically linked set
38 of packages required for build first and then builds the rest with that bin's. Such a
39 set would require
40 about 50MB and it is not difficult to make a few modified packages for that.
41 This build-system could be placed on a gentoo-source cd together with a snapshot of the
42 port-tree.
43 Then you whould be able to boot with the source-cd and install a build.tbz2 instead of a
44 sys.tbz2.
45 Then you can chroot to that system and build everything from sources.
46 Additionally this offers the possibility to build gentoo from within another
47 linux-distro.
48
49 How do you guys think about that?
50