From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Tom
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 04:46:16
Thomas Flavel wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:29:01PM -0600, Bryce Porter wrote: > > > > Tom: > > "I'm just thinking along the lines of a minimum binary system where > > absolutley needed, and compiling specifically everywhere else? I realise this would > > be slow to install on slower systems, but, since we're all power users... ;) > > > > Seriously though, I do think this would be a nice feature, unless there's > > some practicality reason I'm missing." > > ------------------------------------------------------------- > > > > I think this is a great idea. I heard of a GNU/Linux distrobution that > > when installed compiled all selected packages from source, making it the > > most optimized you could get for your specific machine. I think it was > > called Rock Linux or something. > > Not heard of it, but a quick search on google reveals the predicatable url: > http://www.rocklinux.org, #rocklinux on irc.openprojects.net. > > Looks to be faily mature (at least they're past 1.0 ;), supports ppc and alpha > as well as x86.
Please send me you ppc, alpha, i64, mips, sparc machines and I will do the ports. :-)
> From what I can see it has a binary cd version, with the option > to compile from source (the same thing I was talking about, if I understand them > correctly). It describes it's package management as closer to FreeBSD than debian. > It looks to be quite similar to gentoo to me, although not quite as advanced.
I took a look at the site and think that we need something similar to cfengine sometimes. I thougth about a minimum build system too, while I had to go back to i486 from i686. There is another project linux-from-scratch (www.lfs.org i think) that creates a statically linked set of packages required for build first and then builds the rest with that bin's. Such a set would require about 50MB and it is not difficult to make a few modified packages for that. This build-system could be placed on a gentoo-source cd together with a snapshot of the port-tree. Then you whould be able to boot with the source-cd and install a build.tbz2 instead of a sys.tbz2. Then you can chroot to that system and build everything from sources. Additionally this offers the possibility to build gentoo from within another linux-distro. How do you guys think about that? Bye Achim