From: Vlastimil Babka <caster@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What are blocks used for?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 21:24:17
1 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > * Bernd Steinhauser <gentoo@×××××××××××××××××.de> schrieb:
3 >
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 >> e) A package needs a newer version of another package, but doesn't depend
7 >> on it.
8 >>
9 >> This was the case with KDE4. kdelibs-4.0.x block these packages:
10 >> !<kde-base/kdebase-3.5.7-r6
11 >> !<kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.7-r1
12 >> !=kde-base/kdebase-3.5.8
13 >> !=kde-base/kdebase-3.5.8-r1
14 >> !=kde-base/kdebase-3.5.8-r2
15 >> !=kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.8
16 >
17 > I don't know very much about KDE stuff, since I got rid of it for
18 > a long time, but IMHO it seems there's an principle problem on
19 > the install layout - 3.x and 4.x should be completely separate,
20 > never conflicting each other. So some package kfoo either depends
21 > on kdelibfoo-3.x OR kdelibfoo-4.x.
22 >
23 > Of course I don't know whether the problems comes from ebuilds
24 > or upstream ;-o
25
26 If you don't know why the blocks nned to be there then why comment on that?
27 --
28 Vlastimil Babka (Caster)
29 Gentoo/Java