From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages pulling in python-3*, also they dont require it
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:21:35
On 03/18/2010 09:02 PM, Petteri Räty wrote:
> On 03/18/2010 09:43 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote: >> >> So my vote goes for changing the dependency strings for affected packages. >> > > Here's some thoughts on the matter: > > - dev-lang/python is correct if the package works with all python > versions in tree > > - in general we want new slots of packages like gcc being pulled in > > Here's how we could change Portage behavior for pulling new slots that > are not strictly required: > > - for packages in the world file install as soon as available > > - for dependencies install the new slot if everything works with the new > slot > > This would mean that Portage would stay with 2.6 as long as you have > something that doesn't work with 3.x installed. > > Regards, > Petteri >
How do you detect this? Also, what about a new slot for python-2? E.g. 2.7? And do you want to add a special rule to portage just for the special case of python instead of the ebuilds/eclasses having the issue? There is currently the additional issue with distutils.eclass, which does directly add "dev-lang/python" to the dependencies, if there is nothing additional defined. So even e.g. dev-libs/protobuf does pull in python-3*, also there is no indication, that it will even work with that version. -- Thomas Sachau Gentoo Linux Developer