From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages pulling in python-3*, also they dont require it
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:21:35
1 On 03/18/2010 09:02 PM, Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > On 03/18/2010 09:43 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote:
3 >>
4 >> So my vote goes for changing the dependency strings for affected packages.
7 > Here's some thoughts on the matter:
8 >
9 > - dev-lang/python is correct if the package works with all python
10 > versions in tree
11 >
12 > - in general we want new slots of packages like gcc being pulled in
13 >
14 > Here's how we could change Portage behavior for pulling new slots that
15 > are not strictly required:
16 >
17 > - for packages in the world file install as soon as available
18 >
19 > - for dependencies install the new slot if everything works with the new
20 > slot
21 >
22 > This would mean that Portage would stay with 2.6 as long as you have
23 > something that doesn't work with 3.x installed.
24 >
25 > Regards,
26 > Petteri
29 How do you detect this?
30 Also, what about a new slot for python-2? E.g. 2.7?
31 And do you want to add a special rule to portage just for the special case of python instead of the
32 ebuilds/eclasses having the issue?
33
34 There is currently the additional issue with distutils.eclass, which does directly add
35 "dev-lang/python" to the dependencies, if there is nothing additional defined. So even e.g.
36 dev-libs/protobuf does pull in python-3*, also there is no indication, that it will even work with
37 that version.
40 Thomas Sachau
41
42 Gentoo Linux Developer