From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Minor nitpicks
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 11:02:36
1 On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 11:06:02AM -0600, Collins Richey wrote:
2
3 > > yeah, I had the same problem here, it worked after remerging
4 > > sys-apps/net-tools. I found a problem in the yp-tools package, it installed
5 > > ypdomainname,nisdomainname and domainname. All those files still existed
6 > > and where hardlinks to hostname coming from net-tools. I fixed yp-tools
7 > > today. But also I found another hostname binary in /usr/bin. remove that
8 > > binary (/usr/bin/hostname) manually please
9
10 > I rm'd it, but still no hostname.
11
12 Collins, you should expect to have problems until you back up your important data
13 and reinstall Gentoo Linux with the "p" option. Make sure that /etc/hostname and
14 most other things in /etc are world-readable (except for /etc/shadow).
15
16 Again, I recommend a reinstall at this point, since it's hard to tell whether
17 these bugs are problems with Gentoo Linux itself or just a side-effect of your
18 permissions problem.
19
20 Best Regards,
23 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>