From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages pulling in python-3*, also they dont require it
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:03:37
On 03/18/2010 09:43 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote:
> > So my vote goes for changing the dependency strings for affected packages. >
Here's some thoughts on the matter: - dev-lang/python is correct if the package works with all python versions in tree - in general we want new slots of packages like gcc being pulled in Here's how we could change Portage behavior for pulling new slots that are not strictly required: - for packages in the world file install as soon as available - for dependencies install the new slot if everything works with the new slot This would mean that Portage would stay with 2.6 as long as you have something that doesn't work with 3.x installed. Regards, Petteri