From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stabilisation procedure
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 13:13:59
1 On 17/11/16 22:56, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 4:37 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 17/11/16 20:16, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 2:16 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>> * A leaf package such as {{package|kde-apps/kcalc}} may not require any
6 >>>> runtime testing at all
7 >>>
8 >>> I'm not really a big fan of this, but if we REALLY didn't want to do
9 >>> any runtime testing on a package then we should have some way to tag
10 >>> the package as such, and then have some way to do automated
11 >>> build-test-only stabilization. If you aren't doing runtime testing
12 >>> then manual stabilization adds zero value.
13 >>
14 >> How much value do you think we gain from runtime testing a package like
15 >> kcalc as part of the stabilisation process, considering that it already
16 >> sat in ~arch for at least 30 days?
17 >
18 > We ensure that it actually runs at all with non-~arch dependencies?
19 >
20 > The 30 days spent in ~arch tells you very little about whether the
21 > package works with stable dependencies, since only those running mixed
22 > keywords would be testing that.
23
24 What is the *real* risk that kde-apps/kcalc builds against stable
25 dev-libs/gmp but then starts producing funny numbers at runtime?
26
27 Let's put it another way - assume we're stabilising a new version of
28 dev-libs/gmp instead. Should we test already-stable kde-apps/kcalc
29 first? What about the other hundred reverse dependencies?
30
31 Just to be clear, I'm not advocating banning runtime testing. I just
32 think that, considering the state of the stable tree, we should consider
33 very careful in which situations we actually gain value from it. That's
34 for another thread, however. I deliberately worded the document so that
35 the final decision on the exact level of testing required (runtime or
36 otherwise) is between the person filing the stabilisation request and
37 the person actioning it.
38
39 >> Also, based on conversations with various arch team members, my
40 >> understanding is that a lot of stabilisations that happen right now are
41 >> already build-only.
44 > Certainly this isn't the documented process and it is the first I've
45 > heard of this.
46
47 Indeed it is not documented, but then again not a lot about
48 stabilisation is well documented.
49
50 Consider bug #584468, a typical bulk stabilisation request from the
51 GNOME team consisting of 188 packages of varying types. I very much
52 doubt each arch team member sat down and tested file-roller to make sure
53 it extracts archives with stable libarchive and looks OK with stable
54 GTK, then makes sure gnucash-docs still looks pretty with stable
55 docbook-xsl-stylesheets, and so on 186 more times.
56
57 > However, I'd be interested in metrics on failures discovered in
58 > runtime testing and so on, or missed with a lack of runtime testing.
59 > I'll admit that a lot of runtime testing tends to be fairly shallow,
60 > but I do think there is something to be said for doing some kind of
61 > runtime testing.
62
63 I'd be interested in metrics like this too, but I'm not sure how we'd
64 collect such information.
65
66 Runtime testing is important, and in an ideal world every package would
67 receive detailed runtime testing before being moved to stable. Where we
68 are now, I think forcing runtime testing in every case costs more than
69 we gain.
70
71 Building and running for as long as possible the next stable glibc has a
72 comparatively low cost compared to the pain if it broke. Manually
73 running 300 kde-apps/* packages every three months is a guaranteed waste
74 of time. Most packages probably sit somewhere in between.
75
76 > I think we need to think about why we actually have a stable branch.
77 > Does it offer any value if all we do is build testing, when I'm sure
78 > the maintainers at least build their packages in ~arch before they
79 > commit them?
80
81 The whole point of the 30 day waiting period is that issues can and do
82 appear that the maintainer did not encounter when they bumped.