From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Thoughts about broken package handling
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 04:55:30
On 28 June 2011 04:44, Graham Murray <graham@×××××××××××.uk> wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> writes: > >> The fix for that is to slot things properly. You're screwed anyway if a >> preserved library tries to access installed data that has either been >> removed or upgraded to a new format that it doesn't recognise. > > Or some "awkward" packages which when rebuilt will still link against > the preserved library, but if the preserved library is deleted and the > package manually rebuild will link against the new one. > >
Reminds me of the other awkward behaviour I once hit where a package depends on something that is slotted, and mysteriously uses a middle version of the things that are slotted, and then breaks with that version that it for some mysterious reason found a preference for, and upon removing that particular version of the slot, it uses the most recent slotted version instead, and then works perfectly. -- Kent perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3, 3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );" http://kent-fredric.fox.geek.nz