From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 10:16:31
On 01/01/2012 01:23 AM, Duncan wrote:
> As for the switchover, I had already been thinking about it here and thus > have a couple ideas I'd very much like to see implemented in portage/PM/ > base.eclass that could definitely help, along with a USE flag. I'll call > them "migrated-rootfs" and "migrateroot-strict" for purposes of > discussion, here, and assume they're both portage features and that > migrated-rootfs is also a USE flag > > FEATURES=migrated-rootfs would set a USE-default for migrated-root-to-usr > so that it'd default to ON, and would indicate that a user is an "early > adopter" of the new layout, preferring migration as soon as possible. > Users could still set the USE flag as desired for specific packages, at > least at first, tho at some point it'd probably first be made a profile > default, and ultimately profile-masked either on or off.
I'm not sure if a USE flag for FEATURES setting would be necessary. If we want to enforce a global policy, then I guess a QA warning would be warranted. Overall, a migration like this should go pretty smoothly as long as people with separate /usr take appropriate actions to make sure their systems will boot. People without separate /usr can basically relax and enjoy the ride. -- Thanks, Zac