From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installation Gotchas
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:09:35
1 "Bruce A. Locke" wrote:
2
3 > Hello...
4 >
5 > I did my first non-vmware (aka on real hardware) install of Gentoo and was
6 > wondering about the following:
7 >
8 > - If DMA is going to be on by default in the kernel would it be possible to
9 > include hdparm on the cd image so people with harddrives, etc that have
10 > issues with DMA can turn it off after the cd boots? I had to create a 10mb
11 > partition and untar the hdparm package because the HD would freak out with
12 > DMA turned on under lightload. (Yes I know, old cheap harddrive)
13
14 Ok hdparam will be there.
18 > - Where are the kernel messages displayed once the cd has booted? I checked
19 > all the vt's and failed to see any of the DMA related kernel messages,
20 > etc... would it be possible to redirect these messages to a VC to people
21 > could use it for troubleshooting?
22
23 Good idea next time we will use vc/12 for kernel outputs instead of suppressing
24 them.
28 > - On the cd image there are symlinks for zcat, gunzip, etc but no symlinks
29 > for bzcat, bzunip2, etc
30
31 zcat gunzip symlinks are required for loadkeys bzcat bzunzip2 not. That's why
32 they are there /not there.
33 But symlinks do not hurt so they will be on the next boot-image.
37 > - Wget doesn't seem to be in the sys tarball... not a big problem but I was
38 > just wondering if it was an oversight
39
40 Normaly we included some other non sys utilities in the sys-tarball. We did not
41 do it in this case.
42 Next time will have different profiles.
46 > - The dhcp package is missing the needed directory /var/state/dhcp... the
47 > directory should be created empty so dhclient can place the dhcp lease info,
48 > etc in it
49 >
50 > - The default dhcp package configuation points to various config files as
51 > being under /etc, not /etc/dhcp
52 >
53 > - The default kernel lacks either CONFIG_PACKET or CONFIG_FILTER which is
54 > needed for dhclient. I compiled a kernel myself and it works now but is
55 > there any reason why one of those options is not compiled into the default
56 > kernel?
57
58 Simply because dhcp was not used by anyone before. I tested it last week and
59 found that problems too.
63 > - If you do a "make install" in the kernel source tree thats part of the
64 > kernel source package, the makefile tries to play with /etc/lilo.conf (which
65 > doesn't exist) and places the kernel image in the / (root) directory instead
66 > of under /boot. Also I don't see a System.map anywhere. Is it still needed
67 > for lsof on Linux w/ 2.4.x?
70 Well it'r rc and it's pre. :-)
71 There was a bug in the kernel-package. The make install thought to be run in
72 the alsa subdir runs in
73 the kernel dir. If ou run make install in /usr/src/linux it tries to update
74 lilo.
77 > - I had to do some voodoo to get the most recent version of portage to work.
78 > I did a ebuild merge on the most recent version, unmerged it, untar'd the
79 > old version back, then remerged the most recent version and it started
80 > working while after the original merge it was busted... go figure....
81 >
82 > I have the box up and running with DHCP... I'm going to make a custom
83 > version of the eth network template for DHCP and will probably submit it to
84 > the list for the mailing list archive, etc.
85 >
86 > Thanks for all your help so far...
87
88 Thank you for your reports.