From: Morgan Christiansson <mcn0816@×××××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] boot pretty
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:48:19
drobbins@g.o wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 11:55:38AM +0100, Morgan Christiansson wrote: > >> Nooo! Make it like this: >> > > > Hi 'Mog! :) > > Does anyone want to look into hacking the bootscreen code and write a little 3d > code so that we can have a transparent glenzed 3d polgon rotating at 60fps > while the system boots? :) > > Let's forget all this sissy bootscreen stuff and create the first megademo > install CD :) > > Best Regards,
Hmm, i remember how super l33t the Command & Conquer (first one, tiberian dawn) installation program was. I reinstalled it several times just to show my friend's how cool it was. Now wouldn't it be cool to have such a thing for an O/S? And why stop there, we could even have sound support for soundblaster cards! (or if we try different modules a wide range of sound cards). I made enoch or if it was redhat/mandrake start mpg123 while booting once, very nice. :) And about the 3D stuff, is there 3D support for fbdev? Maybe some Mesa3D software rendering or something? At least there's GTK for fbdev. -- Morgan Christiansson