From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: virtual/libcrypt for libcrypt.so implementation
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 21:31:35
1 On Thu, 07 Nov 2019 21:28:34 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 2019-11-07 at 11:52 -0800, Patrick McLean wrote:
5 > > Given glibc upstream's tentative plans to remove libcrypt [1], I
6 > > think we should start working out the kinks well in advance.
7 > > Toolchain has already added a package.use.force-ed "crypt" USE flag
8 > > to sys-libs/glibc-2.30-r2 [2]. The main alternative out there is
9 > > libxcrypt, which I have recently bumped and added a
10 > > package.use.mask-ed "system" USE flag to make it provide the
11 > > "system" version of libcrypt.so.
12 > >
13 > > To give us time to work out dependencies in advance, I would like to
14 > > propose a virtual to provide libcrypt.so, and we can gradually
15 > > update all users of libcrypt to {R,}DEPEND on this virtual.
16 > >
17 > > Maybe once this is in place and the obvious/common packages are
18 > > updated, we could request a tinderbox run to flush out what was
19 > > missed.
20 >
21 > Are you planning to use backwards-compatible .so.1 version of
22 > libxcrypt, or do you plan to switch to .so.2?
23
24 The current plan would be to initially we would be install both a .so.1
25 with full ABI compatibility with glibc (libxcrypt supports this) and a
26 .so.2 that libcrypt.so symlinks to without glibc compatibility (with
27 USE="compat" this is the current behaviour of the ebuild). Current
28 packages are using the .so.1 and any new builds end up linking to the
29 .so.2.
30
31 Eventually we can turn off the "compat" USE flag by default, some users
32 might end up doing preserved-libs rebuilds, but hopefully by that time
33 most stuff will be using .so.2.
37 > > [1]
38 > > https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob;f=NEWS;h=50479f17c9a3a5ef074dafa3f23aca954b82bd6a;hb=HEAD#l768
39 > > [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/699422