From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: Patrick Lauer <gentoo@×××××××××××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] using Portage with other distributions.
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:11:09
1 Patrick Lauer <gentoo@×××××××××××××.de> writes:
2
3 > On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 14:16, Terje Kvernes wrote:
4 >
5 > > first off: at work we don't run Gentoo and this will not change. I
6 > > would however like to use Portage for stuff that the chosen
7 > > distribution doesn't supply, or just to keep more up to date
8 > > software available under, say, /portage (the ROOT name is
9 > > irrelevant, but it's not /usr or (/usr)/local). think of this a
10 > > good replacement for encap.
11 > >
12 > > my first attempt was to make portage self-contained under this root,
13 > > using /portage/etc and similar structures. this I had to abandon
14 > > rather quickly, as /etc/make.conf and similar files are hardcoded to
15 > > be under /etc.
16 >
17 > If you use chroot it's not a problem even to precompile gentoo for
18 > later installation. The procedure is basically:
19 >
20 > * extract stage-n tarball into a directory
21 > * chroot /directory/where/you/put/it /bin/bash
22 > * emerge sync
23 > * emerge whatever-you-need
24
25 this isn't a problem at all. except that it's rather different from
26 what I wish to achieve. I already have a working system with glibc,
27 GCC, bash, binutils and so on. all I want portage to do is to
28 install additional software outside of default system stuff. this
29 is why I injected the appropriate packages.
30
31 > > the user and group warning would be nice to turn off by the way.
32 > > the real problem is the sandbox library which seems to be missing
33 > > its path. are there any good ideas on how to fix this?
34 >
35 > in a chrooted environment it's not a problem.
36
37 that much we can agree on. it doesn't help me though.
38
39 > The warnings are there for a reason, so son't ecpect them to go away
40 > ...
41
42 there is a difference between "turn off" and "go away". I know
43 perfectly well why the warnings are there.
44
45 > > [1] I based my Portage testing on the portage rescue image, which I
46 > > dumped on /portage and created a lot of symlinks on /usr to make
47 > > things work. installing portage on /usr is something I really
48 > > want to avoid, I _really_ wish for /portage to have everything
49 > > related to portage. :-/
50 >
51 > chrooting avoids all those path issues. There are some minor
52 > problems, but I have even used it to compile packages for a broken
53 > gentoo install _on the same machine_ without restarting ... :-)
54
55 been there, done that. I've changed glibc like that on a box. this
56 is neither a problem or a solution to what I'm looking at doing
57 though.
58
59 > Happy hacking,
60