From: Mike Gardiner <obz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New USE flag - 'accessibility'
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:38:23
1 On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 22:28, James Harlow wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:08:28PM +0800, Mike Gardiner wrote:
3 > > I would like to add support for accessibility
4 > > under a USE flag named either,
5 > >
6 > > o accessibility, or
7 > > o a11y
8 > >
9 > > I prefer the former, but would like opinions on which word to choose
10 > > before it gets added.
11 >
12 > accessibility - the only benefit of 'a11y' is that it takes less time
13 > to type, and as it will only be set once (in make.conf), this is drowned
14 > out by the fact that 'a11y' is pretty meaningless (as shown by the fact
15 > you decided to spell it out in the top of the email).
16
17 Some of us like to set use variables more flexibly than once in
18 make.conf (where 4 letters really is easier to type, saves my soon-to-be
19 RSI). And my 'spelling out' was merely as an explanation. This notation
20 is commonly used for i18n and m17n, but not everyone knows that. For
21 most devs, they'll find accessibility support under a configure flag
22 like '--enable-a11y'. Since I was discussing accessibility as an option,
23 it seemed like a timely introduction.
24
25 My arguments are simply 'accessibility' makes more sense, is more
26 readable, whereas 'a11y' is shorter. 2 for the former at this stage.
27
28 Regards,
29 Mike
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list