From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Ebuild Janitor Project -- Any formalities tojoining it?
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 21:50:06
On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 22:05, Marius Mauch wrote:
> What is the recommended way then to get in touch with the devs? We > thought that sending a mail to -dev would be the best way. See > Lovechilds mail as a RFC. Your mail had some good points, but I think it > sounds quite harsh.
Bugzilla is the recommended way and i think that's mentioned in docs (altough i haven't read one in ages), maybe a personal mail will do as well. Devs got a lot of stuff to do usually and its hard to keep track of that without something like bugzilla. About being harsh : we're all adults here (well maybe not me, but hey), we don't have to wrap up everything in soothing phrases do we ? It's not politics or something. Just get to your point and don't quote 2 layers of replies unneeded (pun intended).
> Ok, we all calm down a bit. I can't talk for the others, but I see the > project as a testbed for ebuild modifications that can be tested by > users before they get submitted to bugs.g.o.
As long as you state _very clearly_ those ebuilds are unsupported by Gentoo and it's development team. Even then it's possible we run into problems caused by your ebuilds. Imagine how hard those are to track down.
> As Lovechild has said there > are also discussions about new use flags and other modifications to the > current portage system. I missed the discussion on IRC but I saw that > you were backed by other devs. Please notice that this projects has been > started just for a few days so of course we haven't clarified all > issues.
Well Gentoo has been around for a few years now and still hasn't reached Distro Nirwana , it's a long way soulsearching for the right way to your true perfect self. Don't think these issues you see, these ideas you have, have never been brought up before. Just because you never saw them doesn't mean they haven't been discussed and thought about. That doesn't mean i don't want to support things you might bring up, but you might find we have good reasons we do the things how we do them (you don't say huh). People sometimes come up to me and ask me how they can help. I always tell them to go to our bugzilla and pick up a few bugs, look at them and find a solution. Somehow it never happens, somehow i never see someone fixing a bug and posting the solution to bugzilla. You might want to rethink your approach and try help work down our amount of bugs first instead of setting out with the intent to introduce more. - foser -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list