From: wireless@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: Go ebuilds bundling multiple upstream sources
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 01:03:33
1 On 06/29/2015 06:50 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 06/29/2015 05:27 PM, wireless@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> On 06/29/2015 05:50 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
4 >>> On 06/29/2015 02:27 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 >>>> All,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> we have several Go ebuilds in the tree that bundle multiple separate
8 >>>> upstream sources. One example is app-admin/consul-0.5.2.
9 >>>>
10 >>>> My thought is that we shouldn't bundle like this, but we should figure
11 >>>> out how to write ebuilds for the dependent packages as well.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> What do others think?
14 >>>
15 >>> Maybe we should take into account the number of consumers of said
16 >>> libraries? If there's only one consumer of a given library, then what's
17 >>> the advantage of splitting out a separate ebuild? Also, in our
18 >>> discussion, it may be useful to distinguish between bundling via "one
19 >>> big tarball" versus bundling via multiple tarballs in SRC_URI.
20 >>
21 >> You have much to consider. Consul, like zookeeper (ultrabug overlay) is
22 >> very useful for building clusters on (gentoo) linux. It would be very
23 >> cool to split consul into a separate build. That way one can experiment
24 >> with combining a wide variety of sys-cluster builds with other packages.
25 >
26 > While it would certainly be possible to split out a number of separate
27 > ebuilds for Go libraries that are used *exclusively* by consul, what
28 > advantages would it have? You mention "a wide variety of sys-cluster
29 > builds," but I'm not sure what packages you're talking about. For
30 > example, are you aware of any other packages that use hashicorp's raft
31 > library [1]?
32
33 First of all, I'm not sure why my nntp interface to gentoo-dev is not
34 following the thread (sorry, I'm still working out how to use nntp to
35 gentoo-dev).
36
37 I'm not up on raft, although it looks very interesting [FSM] and all.
38 I've been working on apache-mesos a bit. Consul is used frequently
39 with mesos; here is one example [A]. My experience is that current
40 clusters/clouds are mostly a unique mix of different software, consul
41 being but one of many common components. Perhaps I did not have a
42 sufficiently deep understanding of raft, but my comment was meant to
43 encourage a consul package for gentoo, I guess dependant on a raft
44 package too.
45
46 >> Regardless of which way you go, it would be great to have some detail
47 >> documents about the various (software) components if you stay with one
48 >> large build.
49 >
50 > You can see all of the components (including github.com/hashicorp/raft)
51 > in the SRC_URI variable of the ebuild [2].
52
53 Yea, I need to read up on raft; it does look promising as it took mesos
54 a while to become popular. Is raft as a separate ebuild useful; I'm not
55 sure, but it does look interesting from what I've seen. Many projects
56 within the cluster/cloud space have morphed, so raft has just as good a
57 chance to diversify it's appeal and usefulness. Surely the convenience
58 of the dev that maintains the package(s) is also keenly important.
59
60 > [1] https://github.com/hashicorp/raft
61 > [2]
62 > https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/app-admin/consul/consul-0.5.2.ebuild?view=markup