From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] avoiding urgent stabilizations
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 13:13:28
1 Markos,
2
3 A few thoughts inlined.
4
5 On 2011.02.08 12:03, Markos Chandras wrote:
6
7 My main point was that as you move from an old dated set of packages to
8 newer packages which by definition are less well tested, stability
9 decreases. Users pick somewhere between the two extremes that they are
10 happy with. Gentoo stable lies somewhere between Debian stable and LFS
11 built live from all the repositories.
12
13 > I see what you are saying. However, the 6 months testing is far from
14 > what I have in mind.
15 Thats what releng used to take.
16
17 > My only intention is to bring a more stable
18 > experience to our users. Or, stop claiming that our stable tree rocks
19 > and Gentoo is perfect for servers because it is not. Ye ye ye I know
20 > that many many of you have Gentoo on servers but do not forget that
21 > you
22 > are developers and you know your way around during breakages. Yes,
23 > stable tree breaks FAR TOO often. I blame myself for my arch testing
24 > of
25 > course however I can't do much about that.
26 [snip]
27
28 For servers I can point you at the stillborn Gentoo-LAMP project. I
29 don't remember much more than its name. Google seems to have forgotten
30 it too.
31
32 A big part of the problem comes from being a meta-distro. Everyones
33 Gentoo is different and we we cannot test all combinations to ensure
34 everyone is ok.
35
36 More testing will not eliminate the issue but would catch some
37 problems. There would be less breakage but not zero. There is a trade
38 off to be made there by both the developers doing the testing and
39 the users experiencing the breakage.
40
41 I agree that given more resources, the tree could be improved but
42 before we move in that direction, I would like to ask is that the best
43 use of resources?
44
45 As I said above, users are aware of the trade offs involved in choosing
46 Gentoo. Are our users really unhappy, or are they just looking for help
47 to fix issues when they occur?
48 Most users do not expect a zero issue upgrade path.
49
50 [snip]
51 >
52 > Our stable tree is definitely not suitable for server usage unless
53 > you have plenty of free time to
54 > deal with stupid upgrades because nobody, for example, cared to write
55 > a
56 > proper elog or news item.
57 [snip]
58 >
59 > Either you like it or not, arch teams are understaffed. All of them.
60 All of Gentoo is understaffed.
61
62 > Therefore we cannot afford a updated stable tree with high QA around
63 > it. We need to find a more efficient way to test packages on testing
64 > tree so we can mark them stable with minimal time and cpu cost. We
65 > need
66 > dedicated build boxes, like Diego's tinderbox, to test the testing
67 > tree
68 > over and over against critical/common/trivial QA problems. If we
69 > manage
70 > that, moving packages from testing->stable will be much more time
71 > efficient and we can guarantee a high quality stable tree.
72 If this means a more up to date stable tree, that has to be good as the
73 stable tree will move closer to testing and there will be fewer
74 packages to maintain. (Counting different versions as packages)
75 >
76 > ps1: Personally I have stopped suggesting gentoo stable for server
77 > usage
78 > and I always suggest testing to new users.
79
80 I don't quite agree about not recommending Gentoo for servers. Gentoo
81 is fine on servers but you need to run a testing environment for your
82 updates so you know when you do do an update, exactly what in involved
83 and what will happen. Without your own testing, your server will go
84 down from time to time. If you cannot do your own testing, either
85 tolerate the downtime or don't use Gentoo.
88 > ps2: Roy, this is not a personal attack. Do not misinterpret my tone
89 > :)
90
91 I see no personal attack in your words.
92 >
93 > Regards,
94 > --
95 > Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2
96 >
97 I'll buy you a <insert_refreshment_of_your_choice> next time we meet.
100 Regards,
101
102 Roy Bamford
103 (Neddyseagoon) a member of