From: Fredrik Jagenheim <humming@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there a process for marking ebuilds stable?
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:09:40
On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:21:46PM -0700, Abhishek Amit wrote:
> While we may not(we being users of wms only) use desktop > enviorments, KDE and GNOME are still in the default USE flags. ALSA > is also in there(/etc/make.profile/use.defaults). I think that the > defualt flags should be the basis of testing, and note I am writing > this from mutt in flxbox.
But, remember that the default flags are what maintainers usually are running. So a tinderbox system would only test exactly what the maintainers are testing, and thus wouldn't give any idea of how good an ebuild was. I have no statistics or not even investigated it, but I have a hunch that most ebuilds fail because of; *) Forgotten dependencies *) virtual dependencies satisfies another package than the maintainer are running *) Strange USE flags I don't think it would be feasable for a tinderbox to test all the possible combinations for every new ebuild. Although, a tinderbox would be nice for maintainers that doesn't have access to sparc/powerpc architectures to test that their packages atleast build on them. But gentoo perhaps already has a couple of servers that can be used to manually test different archs? //H Btw, if you're using mutt... Can't you investigate if there are some way to make your editor do linebreaks? ;) -- To segfault is human; to bluescreen moronic. -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list