From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Feature request: package.use.stable.mask and package.use.stable.force
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 06:28:08
1 On Friday 27 April 2012 00:43:15 Jonathan Callen wrote:
2 > On 04/26/2012 06:03 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
3 > > I'd like to suggest we introduce the following very useful
4 > > feature, as soon as possible (which likely means in the next
5 > > EAPI?):
6 > >
7 > > * two new files in profile directories supported,
8 > > package.use.stable.mask and package.use.stable.force * syntax is
9 > > identical to package.use.mask and package.use.force * meaning is
10 > > identical to package.use.mask and package.use.force, except that
11 > > the resulting rules are ONLY applied iff a stable keyword is in
12 > > use
13 >
14 > As "a stable keyword is in use" is either ambiguous or outright wrong
15 > (depending on exactly what was meant by that), I would propose that
16 > one of the following cases replace that:
17 >
18 > * At least one keyword beginning with "~" or the value "**" is in the
19 > global ACCEPT_KEYWORDS.
20 > * At least one keyword beginning with "~" or the value "**" is in the
21 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS used for the package in question.
22 >
23 > This is required because on a typical ~amd64 system, the effective
24 > value of ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is "amd64 ~amd64" -- which would be covered
25 > under "a stable keyword is in use" (the same applies for other arches
26 > as well).
27
28 i don't think that wording is correct and misses the point. simple example of
29 how this should work:
30
31 if package.use.stable.force has:
32 cat/pkg foo
33
34 and then cat/pkg/pkg-0.ebuild has:
35 KEYWORDS="~amd64 x86"
36
37 the forcing of "foo" would apply to people who are ARCH=x86 (regardless of
38 their ACCEPT_KEYWORDS containing ~x86), but not apply to people who are
39 ARCH=amd64. once the ebuild changes to KEYWORDS="amd64 x86", then it would
40 apply to both.
41
42 i.e. the keyword matching is to the ebuild, not to the user's ACCEPT_KEYWORDS.
43
44 or Andreas can clarify.
45 -mike