From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Baselayout 2 stabilisation todo
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 11:45:01
1 Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o> posted
2 20090522121717.1904971d@g.o, excerpted below, on Fri, 22 May 2009
3 12:17:17 +0200:
4
5 > I'd like to collect some things we need to do before Baselayout 2 and
6 > OpenRC can go stable. Up to now I have:
7 >
8 > * eselect 1.1 stable (current RC3) for the support in the rc module
9 > * a newer splashutils stable
10 > * documentation updates (http://bugs.gentoo.org/213988, thanks Jeremy)
11 >
12 > What else? As some of you might foresee, this can be as hard as a major
13 > GCC stabilisation, so it must be well-planned and organised.
14
15 What about the "deprecated" reliance on the old-style addons code as used
16 by at least the mdraid (mdadm package) and lvm (lvm2 package) services?
17 (I'd quote except the messages don't appear to be logged so I can't get
18 'em without rebooting.)
19
20 I've not filed a bug as I'm sure the maintainers can read as well as I
21 can, but if we're talking about stabilizing openrc, getting them in shape
22 and stable without dependence on already deprecated functionality so
23 stable users never see that warning would be nice. Such warnings tend to
24 be (generally unnecessarily) alarming to normal users, especially when a
25 brand spanking new upgrade is already emitting "deprecated" warnings.
26
27 Or should I file the bugs? It seems no one else has and maybe the
28 maintainers don't have the config for what they're maintaining, or
29 otherwise don't see the warnings.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman