From: Dave Bresson <david.bresson@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] module dependency issues with new kernel
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 20:48:11
1 So i decided to switch to the new 2.4.0.11-rc3 kernel, not only because of
2 the few improvements, but also i just prefer to make my own, slimmed down,
3 more optimized kernel for my machine. Anyway, i merged the linux source
4 of the kernel in question from portage, and all was fine. I then did a
5 'make menuconfig', then a 'make bzImage', 'make modules', and 'make
6 modules_install'. Now i know i didn't include or exclude anything i
7 shouldn't have (i've rolled my own kernel plenty of times), however when
8 booting with my new kernel i get "Error configuring module dependencies."
9 As such, the modules don't work (most importantly my ethernet driver). I
10 know the drivers compiled and installed in the right spot, since i can
11 manually do an 'insmod' for my net driver, and then restart the inet
12 script. So there must be some sort of configuration issue going on i
13 don't know about. Here a sample of some of the boot errors from
14 /var/log/boot:
15
16 Calculating kernel module dependencies...
17 depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
18 /lib/modules/2.4.1-pre8/kernel/drivers/char/pc
19 mcia/serial_cb.o
20 depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
21 /lib/modules/2.4.1-pre8/kernel/drivers/char/pc
22 mcia/serial_cs.o
23 depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
24 /lib/modules/2.4.1-pre8/kernel/drivers/isdn/av
25 mb1/avm_cs.o
26 depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
27 /lib/modules/2.4.1-pre8/kernel/drivers/md/line
28 ar.o
29 depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
30 /lib/modules/2.4.1-pre8/kernel/drivers/md/raid
31 0.o
32
33 [...]
34
35 Auto-generating 2.4.0-ac11 modules.conf...
36 modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.0-ac11/modules.dep
37 (No such file or directory)
40 And that about ends the errors. Well, right after that it tries to insert
41 the net driver, but fails. You get the drift. Anyway, it looks like from
42 the errors that it's still trying to load the modules my old kernel used,
43 but from my new kernel's mod directory (where they don't exist, since i
44 didn't need them for my new kernel). However, i still have the same net
45 module for both kernels, and even that didn't work. Something is
46 definitely wrong. Somewhere along the line i must've forgotten something
47 neccessary to configure the correct module dependencies and such. Could
48 this have anything to do with the discussed 'depmod -a' call from one of
49 the other threads on the list? Since Pete just put that in, i doubt the
50 ebuild script i used did this (the one i had was from this morning).
51 Anyway, does anyone know what might have gone wrong here?
54 thanks,
57 dave